Changes to statutory guidance on school uniform and appearance policies
Welsh Government is consulting on
- Whether school governing bodies should prioritise affordability when setting their school uniform and appearance policy
- Whether school governing bodies should ensure easy access and availability of uniform items when setting their school uniform and appearance policy
- Use of logos/branding on school uniforms
- School arrangements with single suppliers of school uniform
- Uniform exchange/recycling schemes
Friends of the Earth Cymru would therefore like to see a school uniform swap scheme being rolled out to every school in Wales (pre-school, primary and secondary) from now on. These schemes already operate in many schools but often rely too heavily on one or two committed teachers or parents and as such are liable to close if these people become over stretched or move away. In order to make a real difference, these swap schemes should become part of everyday life in every school in Wales from now on. We would also like to see a sports kit swap scheme on similar lines in every school.